You will need your heater to be working nearly full time for you this winter. Make sure it is running as efficiently as possible by following 6 of our favorite fall heating efficiency tips!
- Keep all of the vents open: Contrary to popular belief, closing vents in certain rooms can actually harm the efficiency of the heater since the system is designed to heat a certain amount of space.
- Learn to use your programmable thermostat: Check your manual (or call a technician) and program your thermostat to an efficient temperature while you are home. Schedule the temperature to lower ten degrees automatically for 8 hours a day while you are away or asleep to save 10% on your bills.
- Replace an older furnace: If your furnace is several years old and seems to need repairs far too frequently, you may want to look into scheduling a replacement. Today’s heating systems are more efficient than they have ever been, with efficiency ratings of over 90%. Replacing a furnace that is 10 years old or older can result in a major drop in your bills.
- Schedule a maintenance visit: We usually recommend scheduling fall furnace maintenance early in the season, preferably before you have to start your heater for the year. But it is not too late to call a professional to inspect and tune your system.
- Replace the air filter: This is a simple step that can actually greatly improve the performance of your heating system. A dirty air filter blocks airflow to the system, resulting in poor efficiency as the system has to run for a lot longer in order to heat a limited amount of air. Change or clean the filter each and every month!
- Keep the drapes open in the day: Let in as much natural light as possible in the day time so that your furnace does not have to work so hard, but be sure to close the drapes or blinds once it gets dark.
Contact APC Plumbing & Heating’s friendly experts for more helpful advice or to schedule professional heating services in Denver, CO. We have someone in your neighborhood today!